skip to Main Content

Pazo da Cultura and fairgrounds

This cultural complex of almost 10,000 m2 is equipped with an auditorium, a temporary exhibition hall, an assembly hall, eight seminars and other multi-purpose rooms, as well as a cafeteria/restaurant, gardens and a large car park. Throughout the year it hosts an intense and varied cultural activity, especially in the large auditorium. The fairground outside the building also hosts trade fair activities, trade shows and cultural events.

Pazo da Cultura: C/Alexandre Bóveda s/nº

Pazo Cultura Arquitectura

Pazo da Cultura

ABANCA Auditorium

This building, original from 1948 and recently remodeled, preserves two striking facades, in the front one there is a 6 meters bronze sculpture of the mythical founder Teucro, and in the back one, a wide glass window. Current headquarters of Afundación in the city, it has a large auditorium with a capacity for 800 people, a conference room, a meeting room, a board room and exhibition rooms. Throughout the year it offers a wide range of top quality programming including theatre, dance, music, opera and cinema.

ABANCA AuditoriumAugusto González Besada, 2.

Access: Parking Central.

Café Moderno

This building from the beginning of the 20th century, whose owner was Bernardo Martínez Bautista, an emigrant from Pontevedra who made his fortune in Cuba, is nowadays one of the centres that Afundación has in the city. Important literary gatherings were held there with the great exponents of Galician literature. Inside it preserves important paintings by Laxeiro, and has completely respected its essence, with the entrance hall, the original mirrors and lamps, and an impressive staircase.

In its assembly hall and exhibition rooms, conferences, courses and other cultural activities take place. Outside, in front of the entrance, the sculpture “Tertulia del Café Moderno” by César Lombera stands out, in which the figures of Manuel Quiroga Losada, Alexandre Bóveda, Alfonso Rodríguez Castelao, Valentín Paz Andrade, Ramón Cabanillas Enríquez and Carlos Casares Mouriño are represented.

Café modernoPlaza de San José 3.

Access: Parking Central

Cafe Moderno Ensanche

Café Moderno

Main Theatre

In 1864, after the demolition of the then already very deteriorated church of San Bartolomé, which occupied this site, work began on the building for the Liceo Casino Society with an attached theater, later known as Teatro Principal (Main Theater), which were finally inaugurated in 1878.

On April 14, 1980, a fire caused by a short circuit in the Liceo Casino also destroyed the Main Theater. In 1983 the City Council acquired the ruins of the Theater for its reconstruction. The current building, inaugurated in 1997, is the work of the architect José Ramón Caridad.

Main theater (986 83 30 61): Calle Paio Gómez Charino 6.

Access: Plaza de España parking / pedestrian

Teatro Principal

Main Theatre

Casa das Campás

This building is one of the oldest in the city, dating from the 15th-16th centuries. It preserves two heraldic words related to the García Camba and Puga families, and some curious ogee arches on the doors. In the 19th century it was also related to the adventures of the Pontevedra pirate Benito Soto, and it was thought that he could have hidden his treasures here. Nowadays it is the headquarters of the vice-rectorate of the Campus of Pontevedra, University of Vigo. It has an assembly hall where film screenings, conferences and courses, among other events, take place.

Casa das Campás (986 802 080)Calle Don Filiberto 9-11

Access: Plaza de España parking / pedestrian

Back To Top
×Close search
Search
Esta web utiliza cookies propias y de terceros para su correcto funcionamiento y para fines analíticos. Al hacer clic en el botón Aceptar, aceptas el uso de estas tecnologías y el procesamiento de tus datos para estos propósitos.    Más información
Privacidad