Text : A Moureira was the neighborhood where the Mareantes used to live. It was a sailor’s neighborhood, devoted to fishing and salting, and situated outside the city, it covered the area from the Burgo bridge to the Gafos river mouth. It was divided in 3 parts: the known as “A Moureira de Arriba”, situated near the bridge; the “Moureira da Barca” near the village of Poio, and the “Moureira de Abajo”, nowadays the neighborhood of San Roque. The Capilla de San Roque is situated here. San Roque, together with San Sebastián, was regarded as advocates against the plague. The building was built in the Corbaceiras, near the harbor, to protect the city against the vessels infected with the plague. Although its origin is not clear, the chapel suffered different modifications, until 1861, when the building was definitely moved to its current location. Besides, it preserves some of the characteristics of the old construction. Not far from here, you will find the bullring, of wood, built in 1892. Seven years later, the current enclosure was opened, on the day of La Peregrina. However, at the beginning of the 17th century, bullfights were celebrated in the Ferrería square, which was closed with wood fences.
No hay vídeos disponibles para este recurso en este momento. Disculpe las molestias.